Sharon MacDonald Bookkeeping & Accounting Services - BannerSharon MacDonald Bookkeeping and Accounting Services - Photograph of Sharon
Sharon MacDonald Bookkeeping & Accounting Serivces - Reflection

FAQ - Revenue Canada

A number of services are available through the Revenue Canada Website:

Taxation Services

  • Individual tax preparation
  • Self-employed tax preparation
  • Corporate Income Tax Preparation
  • Tax preplanning
  • Electronic Filing

Accounting & Bookkeeping for Small Business

  • Unaudited Financial statements
  • Computerized bookkeeping
  • HST remittances
  • Payroll and WCB services
  • T4 and T5 slips and summaries
  • Budgeting and cash flow analysis

Computer Training

  • Accounting software training and ongoing support
  • Microsoft Office software training
  • Internet and email applications
  • Database applications
  • Tax software training

My Account – register to have access to your Revenue Canada Account and be able to do adjustments, change of address, copy of your return, etc.

My Payment is an electronic payment service offered by the CRA that uses Interac® Online to allow individuals and businesses to make payments directly to the CRA from their online banking account. If you have online banking with the following then you would qualify to use My Payment

  • Bank of Montreal (Personal Accounts Only)
  • Scotia Bank
  • Royal Bank
  • TD Canada Trust

Contact Revenue Canada – see the toll-free telephone numbers below:

  • Individual Tax Enquiries - 1-800-959-8281
  • Business Tax Enquiries – 1-800-959-5525
  • T.I.P.S. (Tax Info Phone Service) - 1-800-267-6999
  • GST/HST Credit – 1-800-959-1953
  • Canada Child Tax Benefit (CCTB) – 1-800-387-1193
  • Canada Pension and Old Age Security - 1-800-277-9914

Deadlines You Should Know

  • RRSP Deadline is February 28 or 29th of the following income tax year
  • T1 General Tax Return is due on April 30th of the following year
  • Self-Employed T1 General Tax Return is due on June 15th of the following year for both the self-employed and the spouse if applicable
  • T4 and T5 Slips and Summaries are due on February 28 or 29th of the following income tax year for the prior year.
  • HST Remittances can be filed monthly, quarterly, yearly depending on the business and how it was set up. You also can make installment payments and file at the end of the year if you qualify. In this case you would file by Jun 15th of the following tax year for the prior year's HST.
  • Corporations have 3 months after their fiscal year end to pay any taxes owing and 6 months after their fiscal year end to file the Corporate T2 Return.
  • Payroll and Workers Compensation payments are due on the 15th of the following month for the prior month.

The due dates can vary slightly if they fall on a weekend so please look at your information form from Revenue Canada as the due date is stated on it. Penalties and interest are applicable to anyone who does not file or pay their balance by the specified due date. Make sure that you file all of your tax slips as Revenue Canada match the slips up several months later and will adjust your return with a bill which would include penalties and interest. The taxpayer is responsible to ensure that they have included everything received and if you are a repeat offender then the following year the penalties are much stiffer. If a slip is missed you can fill out an adjustment form and send it in with any balance owing at that time.

You can make your payments at the bank with your form, pay them online through My Payment with CRA or put your cheque and form in the mail. Put your SIN number or your business number on the cheque memo line to ensure proper payment.